Owning a thermostat is not enough to save energy. Using it the right way is equally important. Most newbiesare unaware of the proper usage of thermostats and fail to benefitfrom their various features.
In order to make the thermostat save energy, the beginnersneed to know some of the basic factsof running a programmable thermostat.
Here’s our guide to programmable thermostats for thenewbie:
- You cannot buy just any thermostat based on its looks or even its features (that comes later). The first thing you need to do is make sure it is compatible with your central heating and air conditioning system.
- Programmable, electronic, and manual are different names of the same kind of thermostat.
- Make sure you read the manual, which isprovided with the thermostat, word by word. It will get you on the right track immediately.
- Never use the override feature in your thermostat and avoid it as much as you can. Thermostats are made to control the temperature of your HVAC system. Override feature defeats that purpose and reduces energy savings.
- The most recommendedthermostat setting is:
Winter: 68 degrees Fahrenheit when you’re at home and 5-8degrees lower when you are away.
Summer: 68 degrees Fahrenheitwhen you’re at home and 5-8 degrees higher when you are away.
- Never ignore changing the temperature of your HVAC system when you are away. Even if it is for 2 hours. This is the time when the thermostatcuts back on the energy bills.
- Make use of thescheduling feature you have in your thermostat. Set the temperature and time once and the thermostat will take care of it every day.
- If you want to change the temeperature during the day,schedulethe change a little ahead of time. For instance, if you go to bed at 10:00 every day and sleep more comfortably in a slightly cooler room, thenschedule the change in temperature 15 minutes before you sleep.
- When going on vacations, use the vacation feature instead of turning the entire system off. Recommended temperature includes 55 degreesFahrenheit during winter and 85 degreesFahrenheitduring summer.
Most of the times, the heating and cooling problems in your house could be a result of improper usage of the thermostat. Make sure you follow the aforementioned tips to use the thermostat to its best potential.